The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program has been a long-standing partnership between CRA and FCSS. CRA-trained volunteers prepare basic tax and electronically file returns for low-income individuals and families throughout March and April. The CVITP is offered free of charge to anyone who meets the eligibility criteria and includes doing taxes for current and previous years. In order to be eligible for CVITP individuals must have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
Volunteers CAN NOT prepare tax returns for:
- Those with employment expenses, business or rental income/expenses
- Those who are self-employed (own a business)
- A deceased individuals return
- Those who have returns claiming capital gains or losses
- Those with major investments/RRSP/stocks/mutual funds/RESP
- Those who filed for bankruptcy in the last seven years